Friday, April 29, 2011

Dragonflies

Lookin out over this town
Tryin to find the beauty
That place between the factories, the haze of late August
Off 9th Avenue and its road to riches.
Where 20 bucks gets you nothin but lost time
And a pull of the lever leaves you emptier than before
All busted knees and boots on blacktop
Street corner standin beggin for something I just aint got
But on this hill, far away from that
I’m smokin cigarettes and sippin beer from a coffee mug
Watchin the dragon flies maneuver as if that’s all there is,
Beatin the breeze to get what’s yours
And maybe that’s it
Maybe that’s the beauty
But it’s broken up by folks and their cars
Afraid of shutin off the engines and steppin outside
To feel the heat
To help me find beauty
Among hot tar
And endless rail yards
Stuck behind windshields and locked doors
Just crackin the windows to toss out the trash
And their guilt
The interruption only lasts a minute
But seems like an eternity
Because the mechanics of their day and its noise
Do not belong here
On this hill
Where I smoke cigarettes and sip beer from a coffee mug
Searchin for beauty among fields of grey and green
And nothing in between but a renovated building
Which is the perfect shade of a red
The shade of hope
Of something other than what we got
Which doesn’t seem like a lot from up here
Where I’m still under the strange looks of strangers
As if they’ve never seen anyone maneuverin before
Beatin the breeze to find what’s theirs
And maybe it’s because they don’t know
That this may just be all I got.
This town and its broken beauty



4 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love the mix of emotions here, of being misunderstood despite feeling certain in yourself. Some really great lines here :) it would be fun to hear it read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is deep...Afraid of shuting off the engines and stepping outside
    To feel the heat... grabbed me with the fear to stop and think about life because it could be horrible to discover the ugliness - easier for the moment to move on - but then they never make the second step and find the beauty in the ugly and the everyday and the lost opportunities and in the things gone wrong...excellent dustin

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh - almost forgot to tell you... i moved my blog..you can find me here now..
    http://jaywalkingthemoon.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. An impressive share, I just got this onto a colleague who was doing an evaluation. And he actually bought me breakfast because I discovered it for him... smile. So let me reword that: Thanks for the treat! However yeah Thanks for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If potential, as you develop into experience, would you mind updating your blog with extra particulars? It is extremely helpful for me. Massive thumb up for this blog publish!

    ReplyDelete