Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pieces of the Son

I want to eat grapefruit in the morning
Like my father did
and my mother
when they were still my father and mother
sitting at a table in the morning
cutting grapefruit with serrated spoons
and a little sugar to cut the taste
husband and wife
and a little sugar to cut the taste
I want to eat grapefruit in the morning
so I am a father
at a table
with everything I need
the paper
a coffee
and a serrated spoon
for cutting perfect pieces


Linked to dverse poets open link night







2 comments:

  1. smiles...think you might need a bit more than grapefruit...it presents a bit of a sad picture you know...a marriage with a little sugar to cut the taste...interesting line of thought in this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grapefruit is the perfect choice of fruit here, to convey that slight sweetness, but also that undertone of bitterness that underscores your poem. Provocative writing.

    ReplyDelete